Monday, March 28, 2011

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."


I am newly obsessed with "Gone With the Wind." I'd never read the book before, so when I remembered I had a copy on the bookshelf I dove in. It took a few days because it's a damn long book. It would have taken longer if I hadn't skipped over the pages upon pages of description of landscape and dresses and war stats. I don't need to read an entire paragraph on the way the sun slants through the magnolia trees. It's the South. We love the South. I get it.

Scarlett O'Hara is a bitch, but you know what... I love her. And I love Rhett Butler, to the point of giving him a perch on a literary pedestal equal to that of Mr. Darcy. And it's going to drive me stark raving mad if I allow myself to continue wondering whether or not those two end up together. They have to. Right?? I mean, who else could either of them possibly be with? They just have to end up together. He has to give a damn. He just needs a little time and then they'll be ok. (I'm trying really hard not to curse Margaret Mitchell for not writing a sequel herself.)

Another confession: I haven't actually seen the movie in its entirety. Can you believe that? A movie buff like me?? I swear I thought I'd seen it, but I think I've just seen clips. A coworker let me borrow her copy as soon as I mentioned it, but I have yet to bring myself to watch it. I'm afraid I'll never recover.

I know I'm like 75 years late on this (only 30, if you just count the time I've been alive) but my God! I am obsessed. I want Rhett Butler. I love Scarlett despite her hatefulness. And I needed to get all that out in hopes that I'll be able to sleep tonight without thinking of Tara or Georgia or dashing men with mustaches - a look, I've decided, that Clark Gable and Clark Gable alone can pull off without looking ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. It is SUCH a good book - I haven't read it in a few years, but I love it.

    I just found Scarlett (the sequel by another author) at our library booksale, so I'm interested to see how that one is.

    PS One of the girls from your book club (KML) told me about your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete