Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book review: "The Geography of Bliss"


This month's selection was the memoir by Eric Weiner, an NPR correspondent who was tired of reporting on war and conflict and decided to take some time to visit the countries that ranked top in a happiness study.

I'm usually not a big fan of non-fiction (it almost always feels like I'm reading a textbook and let me tell you, nothing puts me to sleep faster than reading a textbook) but this was a great read. Not only was the information interesting, but Weiner's style of writing was witty and fun. He had a few "I couldn't help but wonder..." Carrie Bradshaw-esque moments, but I just snorted and moved past them.

The book was great. I recommend it to everyone.

My favorite part is what Weiner sums up what he feels he's learned from his experience: "Money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important. So are friends. Envy is toxic. So is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude."

It was my turn to host this month, so I went with things that make me happy when it came to planning the menu: My Aunt Sylvia's cheese enchiladas, margaritas, watermelon, salad, chips and avocado. All that got trumped, though.

My friends. My wonderful, beautiful, amazing friends surprised me with a cake and champagne for a late birthday celebration. They sang to me and had me blow out candles and said sweet things in a champagne toast. I almost cried. I'm almost crying right now just thinking about it. Just a few posts back I was sad about not feeling like I have super close friends and then this happens. My book club is full of fantastic friends and I love them all so, so much.

Bliss for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment