Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book Review: "South of Broad"


I've never read anything of Pat Conroy's before. He wrote "Prince of Tides." I've never seen that movie either.

If they are anything like my book club's January selection, I'm not interested.

I confirmed this by going to the bookstore and reading the summaries of Conroy's other books. They all had words like "suicide," "tragedy," "depression," "abuse."

Dude has issues, I guess.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have to have a happy ending. And I'm not against reading books that are sad. But for the love of God, can there at least be a point? A conclusion? Even if it's something as simple and nonsensical as the main character thinking to himself, "Wow. Some shitty things have happened to me. But at least I have these friends who are here for me no matter what."

I'm not going to summarize the whole book, but here are the key points: Suicide. Mental institution. Mother who never cared for son. False accusation. Mental instability. Stalking. Psychotic serial-killing father. AIDS. Natural disaster. Adultery. More suicide. Murder. Abandonment. Child molestation. Another mental institution.

AND FOR WHAT????

Nothing.

(Oh, also, mix in a shit ton of flowery narrative about the beauty and majesty of Charleston. Because the author's from South Carolina.)

This book is officially the most expensive door stop I ever bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment