Saturday, January 30, 2010

Book Review: "The School of Essential Ingredients"


This is exactly the book I needed to read after the disaster that was "South of Broad." (I'm still mad at you, Pat Conroy). This sweet little book by Erica Bauermeister lifted my spirits immeasurably.

It's about a restaurant owner, Lillian, who discovered a knack for cooking as a child and now teaches cooking classes on the one night a week her restaurant is closed. Her lessons aren't about following recipes (she doesn't believe in them), rather they're about discovering what's most important -- the essential ingredients, if you will -- when it comes to preparing food.

We see the progress of the lessons through the eyes of each class member, and come to find out that through Lillian they learn not only what's essential in the kitchen, but also what's essential in their lives.

My heart was warmed in this one. Perhaps it's because I was starved for something just like this at the moment. All that means is that this book was essential to me and I got exactly what I needed from it. The stories might not affect every reader the same way, but not one will be able to deny the deliciousness of the writing. I could smell, taste, see and hear every single thing in this book.

I already have a waiting list of people who want to borrow this based on my recommendation, but if you don't want to wait, I suggest running out and buying it. My copy cost me $3 on the clearance shelf. But it's definitely worth more. I don't think you'll be sorry to have it on your bookshelf, ready to grab whenever you need to be reminded of the essentials in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment