Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the idea that loved ones come together for no other purpose than just to be together. There's no pretense of religious obligation, or gifts, or patriotism. It's all about evaluating the things in life that you are thankful for and taking a little extra time to appreciate them. It's positive, and, let's face it, the world could use more positivity.

There's also delicious food involved, which is a big bonus. (Shout out to my aunt D's mashed potatoes and both grandmothers' stuffings.)

When I start to feel down, or restless, or just generally dissatisfied, I try to think of the things that I'm grateful for. Thanksgiving came at an opportune time this year, as I had been feeling blue for a couple of weeks prior. So in honor of the holiday, and as a reminder to myself that I am truly blessed, here is what I am thankful for:

1. My family, who love and support me even when I'm a brat and don't deserve it.
2. My friends, who are my family.
3. My health, of which I need to stop taking advantage.
4. My talent, of which I need to take advantage.
5. My independence.

That pretty much covers it. I could be silly and also give thanks for white chocolate mochas, National Cookie Day, "Bad Romance" and the grocery store express lane, but I'll save (the rest) of that for another post.

For now, I'll leave you with this:

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment