Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Movie Review: "Friends With Benefits"


Okay, I lied. This post won't have my Turner Classic Challenge answers in it. I forgot that I meant to write about Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis making me laugh my ass off.

Now, the thing about this movie is that it has the same premise as "No Strings Attached," with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher, where friends agree to have casual sex with each other but not be in a relationship.

Having now seen both (did I post a review of "NSA"? I don't remember) I can say that I definitely liked "FWB" better, and not just because Justin is ever so much hotter than Ashton. I liked it better because it was much, much funnier. "NSA" had all of the cheesy rom-com moments we've come to expect and dislike, and while the formula is basically the same, the delivery in "FWB" makes all the difference.

Justin and Mila banter the way my friends (JUST friends, no benefits) banter -- quick, sarcastic, snarky, ridiculous, random. They also care about each other the way my friends and I care about each other. Of course the inevitable happens and real feelings come into play, and they have to decide what they're going to do about them (here's where it got a bit rom-commy for me).

Just in writing this post, I've figured out the main reason "FWB" appealed to me more than "NSA." The answer is right in the title: Friends. Natalie and Ashton aren't ever really friends in "NSA" before they hook up. Justin and Mila, on the other hand, have a friendship foundation. Both couples -- SPOILER ALERT! -- end up together (did anybody think they wouldn't?) but in "FWB" it's because the pair actually genuinely liked each other first and then fell in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment