Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Zymurgy and counting words

I stayed up late finishing a book last night (review to come) and didn't do yesterday's creative writing exercise, so today you get two!

**holding for applause**

;)

First up: Dictionary. The rules: Flip open the dictionary and find a word you don't know, then make up a definition for it.

I went to the last page and chose the last word in my ancient paperback Webster's.

"Zymurgy"

The real definition has something to do with beer and brewing. My definition is this:

"The process of harnessing Zym, which is a fun way to say awesomeness. It's different for every person. Some of the things I think are awesome are the beach, hiking, yoga, homemade oatmeal, newspapers, gloves, art, live music, hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, Mexican food, going to the movies and school supplies. They all radiate zymurgy for me, and I respond to it like a magnet, drawing the Zym in."

The second exercise is "Descriptions... with limits." The rules: Write descriptions of your family members, using only the number of words that equal their age. (I stuck with immediate family, since I have something like eleventy billion aunts/uncles/cousins and would be here for the rest of my days doing the whole lot.)

Mom (55): I don't remember ever feeling straight warmth from her. She's always in business mode, even when she's having fun. She's very talented, and smart, but cautious. She's quick to notice flaws in others, but never sees her own. She can hold a grudge like no other. But if you ever needed her, she'd be there.

Dad (55): Lots of warmth. He looks scary, and he can be, but mostly he's just a big teddy bear. Loves to tell really bad jokes, the kind that earn a groan. He's smart, but I don't know if he ever had a dream to be something someday. He loves to cook and is great at it.

Nat (26): Younger sister. The kind of person who's good at almost everything she tries. She will do what she wants and take the consequences as they come.

Ace (4): Nephew. Best kid ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment