Thursday, December 16, 2010

Creativity waits

Confession: I haven't actively worked on "The Artist's Way" since Thanksgiving. So, what, three weeks now?

The good news: That changed today. I re-read Chapter 8 and did some of the tasks, then read Chapter 9 and did some of those tasks. Once I read and do some tasks from Chapter 10, I'm caught up.

I have my partner in creativity Dianna to thank for getting me back on track. We've discovered that we can chat online at work, and so we have been. Regular chatting with her is so helpful to me. It would be very easy for me to go home after work and veg in front of the TV instead of working on my writing (which is the goal of this course), but she told me there was good stuff in the chapters I hadn't read yet, and she was right. After tonight, I feel so much better.

The best news: Creativity waits. As I was reading these chapters and doing the tasks, I was having all these insights regarding the projects I am starting. I realized that just because I hadn't been working on them doesn't mean that I've lost any of the creative juices that got me excited about them in the first place. It's all there, in my head, waiting patiently for me to let it out. These are good ideas and they deserve better than to be ignored or delayed. My own issues and distractions are no excuse to my treatment of my inner artist. She is better than that.

I'm sorry, Artist. Thanks for staying with me. I can't promise things between us will always be easy, but I can promise to always try my hardest to make both of us happy. I know how special you are, and I will never stop working to let other people know it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment