Sunday, August 15, 2010

Book Review: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"


I love "Pride & Prejudice" in an almost unhealthy way. But I'm not so devoted that I can't enjoy a good spoof.

This book takes nothing away from the original. In fact, the original remains mostly intact (minus a couple of minor characters coming down with the zombie plague and being beheaded) with a lot of good zombie fun added in.

Example #1: The scene at Netherfield where Caroline Bingley and Mr. Darcy are discussing the attributes that make a woman truly accomplished. Mastery of drawing, dancing, languages, music, etc. Add "skill in vanquishing the undead" to the list of qualifications a woman must possess to be desirable.

Example #2: Mr. Darcy's failed proposal to Elizabeth during his visit to Rosings. She's good and pissed in the original and lets him know it verbally. In this one, she kicks his ass.

Example #3: When Lady Catherine journeys to Longbourn to confront Elizabeth about the rumor of Darcy's proposal. It's a match of insults in the original. In this one, they kick each other's ass.

It's all very hilarious.


After reading it, though, I was desperate to read the original and watch the most recent movie adaptation starring Keira Knightley and Matthew McFayden, which I own on DVD. It makes me all warm and fuzzy and not the least bit concerned about a "dreadful" feasting on my brain.
I'm sure Jane Austen would have wanted it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment